Special Instructions to Applicants
Associate/Full Professors and Associate/Full Research Professors who are interested in working at the central administrative level on research related issues are encouraged to submit a letter of interest and a current CV.
The Office for Research and Innovation, oversees the research activities of the University of Oregon (UO). The UO is a major public research university with grant awards exceeding $120 million and sponsor supported expenditures reaching $125 million annually. Research and Development expenditures support hundreds of active UO research, instruction, and community service projects. Principal recipients of these funds include more than 20 centers, institutes and research core facilities that report to the Vice President for Research and Innovation. The Office of Research and Innovation provides comprehensive administrative support for sponsored programs, including identification of funding opportunities, proposals submission, human and animal subject's approvals, and contracts/grant administration, as well as the translation of basic research into commercial products or services.
The position of Associate Vice President for Research (AVPR) works directly with the Vice President for Research and Innovation. The intent is to appoint an individual for a three year period with the possibility of reappointment for a second three year term after review and discussion with the Vice President. The position will be a part time appointment that may increase in effort over time dependent on work load, performance and the wishes of the individual in the position. The issues addressed during each three year period may change significantly depending on circumstances. Associate Vice Presidents for Research are members of the Vice President's executive team and provide advice and counsel to the Vice President, the Provost and President on matters related to research activities and research administration. The successful candidate will have the ability to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from a variety of diverse backgrounds.
Primary responsibilities include a combination of any tasks from the list below:
• With faculty and administrative colleagues encourage and facilitate enhanced opportunities for large-scale, cross disciplinary, externally sponsored research projects and initiatives;
• Provide supervision and oversight to at least one administrative service unit in the division;
• Provide supervision and oversight research core facilities;
• Provide guidance and counsel on matters related to Research Centers and Institutes including active participate in systematic review process for current research centers and institutes;
• Act as the Research representative on specific university and external committees and workgroups including but not limited to departmental program reviews and search committees;
• Serve (ex officio) on the Research Advisory Board;
• Serve as a representative of the institution and the division of Research and Innovation as requested;
• Other duties as assigned
Additional application instructions can be viewed on the job posting.