Academic Year 2022-2023 Workshops for Researchers
Trainings for the 20232-23 academic year have yet to be determined.
Arts and Humanities
- Strategies for Success: How to Win a Research Award from the National Endowment for the Humanities - NEH Program Officers, Dr. Claudia Kinkela and Dr. Madison Hendren, and faculty colleagues from around Oregon, participate in a virtual workshop to learn more about NEH Research Division programs and strategies for success in getting a grant from the NEH. (PDF of PowerPoint and 2022 Video)
- NEH/Humanities Fellowships Overview - Learn about the wide variety of humanities funding opportunities and best practices for writing competitive proposals to funding agencies like the National Endowment for Humanities and American Council of Learned Societies. (2021 PDF of PowerPoint and 2021 Video)
- Humanities Fellowships Mock Review Panel - Engage in interactive session where we review the strengths and weaknesses of proposals submitted the National Endowment for the Humanities. (2021 Video).
Data Management Planning
Data Management Planning - Learn how to use data management plan tools and resources to create strong plans for your NIH and NSF grant applications. (2019 PDF of PowerPoint)
- Strategies for Success: How to Win a Grant Award from IES' National Center for Education Research - Held on November 16, 2021. The Institute of Education Sciences (IES) is the statistics, research, and evaluation arm of the U.S. Department of Education. Within IES, the National Center for Education Research (NCER) awards competitive grants for rigorous research that address pressing education needs, from early childhood to adult education. NCER Program Officer Dr. Emily Doolittle and faculty colleagues from around Oregon participated in a virtual workshop to learn about NCER’s Education Research Grants programs and strategies for success in getting a grant from IES. Please review the PDF of Presentation for more details on the presentation.
Finding Funding Using Pivot
Pivot Funding Opportunities Search Database - Get customized funding opportunities by learning how to use the advanced search feature to save and refine searches, track opportunities, and receive weekly email alerts. (2020 Video)
Honors and Awards
- An Introduction to Honors and Awards for Early Career Faculty - Learn what it takes during your scholarly career to be competitive for such prestigious honors as the membership in the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and National Academy of Sciences. (2021 PDF of PowerPoint and 2021 Video.
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Please see our Resources page for the National Institutes of Health for additional videos and other supportive materials.
- NIH Overview - Understand the National Institutes of Health as a funding agency. We will cover agency structure, solicitation types and how to navigate them, and useful resources from the NIH website. (2020 PDF of PowerPoint and 2020 Video)
- NIH Review Process - Understand the unique procedures for peer review of proposals at the National Institutes of Health, to help improve your own applications. (2020 PDF of PowerPoint and 2020 Video)
- NIH Specific Aims - Learn the art of writing your specific aims for grants to the National Institutes of Health, the most important component of your application. (2020 PDF of PowerPoint and 2020 Video)
- Writing Your First NIH Proposal - Learn how to put together a grant proposal to the National Institutes of Health. We will cover resources available through RDS and NIH, as well as essential grant-writing tips. (2021 PDF of Powerpoint)
- NIH NRSA Fellowships for Graduate Students - Learn how to develop fellowship applications for NIH National Service Research Award program. (2021 PDF of Powerpoint and 2020 Video)
National Science Foundation (NSF)
Please see our Resources page for the National Science Foundation for additional videos and other supportive materials.
- NSF Overview - Learn about National Science Foundation as a funding agency, including agency structure, solicitation types and how to navigate them, and useful resources from the NSF website. (2021 PDF of PowerPoint and 2021 Video)
- NSF Broader Impacts - Learn about the Broader Impacts review criteria for applications to the the NSF, and how to develop strong projects meeting that criteria. (2021 PDF of PowerPoint and 2021 Video)
- NSF CAREER Awards - Learn how to develop competitive applications for NSF CAREER Award program for Early Career Faculty. (2021 PDF of Powerpoint and 2021 Video)
Research Development Services provide customized training at your request. If you’d like us to prepare and present a workshop or information session on any topic related to locating or applying for funding, please contact us to discuss your needs (firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-346-8308).