Appointed in August 2020, the OVPRI Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee (DEIC) provides leadership in the area of equity and inclusion, with a specific focus on critical issues for OVPRI staff and for the research community that OVPRI serves.
The overarching charge of the committee is to provide leadership in developing, coordinating, and assessing short- and long-term strategies for structure, policies, processes, curricula and engagement in alignment with the University-wide Diversity Plan and other matters concerning diversity, equity and inclusion. Specifically, the committee will help:
- Develop activities and resources that promote cultural and diversity competency among OVPRI employees to foster inclusivity and awareness
- Advise VPRI regarding issues related to equity and inclusion on an ad hoc basis
- Provide recommendations and feedback on OVPRI policies using an Equity Lens
- Draft messaging on important topics related to equity and inclusion
- Collaborate with individuals and organizations to further diversity-related goals both within the UO and use national resources and initiatives to serve our community
- Develop and disseminate tools and resources that enable researchers to incorporate diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects of research
- Regularly, and at least annually, evaluate OVPRI DAP progress and goals and recommend potential avenues for expansion
- Advise Unit, Core, and Center/Institute directors and OVPRI executive committee on implementation of new DAP-related goals
- Draft recommended priority actions, work plan, timeline and work assignments for the coming academic year (due each summer), to be approved by VPRI.
- Provide annual written report for both leadership and staff that evaluates DEIC and OVPRI progress on DEI goals and initiatives and incorporates committee recommendations; provide less formal quarterly updates throughout the year.
2021-2022 Committee Members:
- Andrew Gray
- Brittney de Alicante (staffing)
- Carolyn Craig (chair)
- Deja Grant
- Geordi Helmick
- Julie Chouinard
- Karl Reasoner
- Mara Fields
- Nadia Singh
- Ofuma Eze-Echesi
Stay in Touch
There are a variety of ways to engage with the OVPRI DEIC:
- Sign up for the OVPRI DEIC listserv here to receive regular updates on the committees activities and learn about events, trainings, and other opportunities
- Contact us via email at email@example.com to share your ideas, questions, or other suggestions.
University of Oregon's DEI-related resources:
If you are in need of urgent assistance with concerns related to your work environment, we suggest contacting the below resources.
- UO Office of Investigations and Civil Rights
- Division of Equity and Inclusion
- Ombuds Program
- UO Discrimination Policy
- UO Counseling Resources
- Equity and Inclusion in Local Government (Eugene)
- Hate & Bias Prevention and Response Toolkit (Eugene)
- Community Alliance of Lane County (CALC)
- Springfield Alliance for Equity and Respect (SAfER)