- Proposal Planning, Preparation, and Submission -- from application materials and budget assistance, to final review, official endorsement, and submission of proposals to funding agencies, public and private, for support of research, instruction, and public service projects.
- Award Setup, Administration, and Management -- from inception by review and acceptance of awards and account set up, through the award's administration, financial reporting, and final closeout.
All proposals submitted, in hard copy or electronically, by UO faculty, students or staff to external funding sources (public and private sponsors) must be reviewed, cleared and endorsed by SPS on behalf of the University prior to submission. The following activities are handled by and through SPS:
Assistance with the preparation of application forms and guidelines, required proposal certifications, and institutional information required by sponsors such as audit reports or tax ID.
Preliminary review and approval (expedited by E-PCS or e-mail) of budgets before final proposal clearance. Budget instructions and rates are posted on SPS's web site and updated annually.
Compliance areas such as human subjects or animal use are certified on proposals as approved or pending approval by institutional committees.
An E-PCS record must be completed for each proposal submission, at which point it will be reviewed (along with the proposal) by SPS. After record is approved by SPS the PI should finalize it so the appropriate institutional approvals can be obtained.
Mailing of the proposal if all required copies are provided before the deadline.
Awards are made to the University as the official grantee, or in special circumstances (for some private funds, only) to the UO Foundation on behalf of the University. The PI is responsible for the technical work but does not receive the award directly. SPS manages grants and contracts for the University as follows:
Receipt, review, and institutional acceptance of the official award document, both hard copy and electronic notices.
Establishment of a new fund account and assignment of an index number in the UO's financial system (Banner), in which the PI can charge expenditures and view details and balances for the project.
Works with the PI, department grant administrators and funding agency staff to manage the award fiscally and administratively throughout the project period.
Preparation and filing of financial reports and submission of periodic billings according to award requirements.
Monitoring of regulatory mandates and advisement to PIs regarding changes in agency and federal regulations and University policies on grant administration.
Liaison between PI and agency for administrative actions, including but not limited to no-cost extensions, budget revisions, grant transfers, and changes in key personnel.
Reconciliation of account for final close-out and submission of final financial report and other final documents such as equipment disposition and invention reports to sponsor.
SPS Contact Information
- Andrew M. Gray, Executive Director - email@example.com
- Patti Carey, Associate Director for Pre-Award - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Val Whelan, Associate Director for Post-Award, Finance, and Audit - email@example.com
- Jeff Borden, Interim Associate Director for Research Contracts - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christina Wozniak, Training & Outreach Coordinator - email@example.com
A full staff directory for SPS can be found here.
General Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (541) 346-5131
Fax: (541) 346-5138
Street Address (in the PeaceHealth North Building)
677 East 12th Ave, Suite 500
Eugene, OR 97401
Fax: (541) 346-5138
5219 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5219
The PeaceHealth North office building has restricted access, so appointments are needed to access the fifth floor. We are open for business Monday through Friday from 8AM to 5PM.
SPS values your opinion!
Please take our short survey and tell us how we’re doing:
Client Satisfaction Survey