The P-CHEM Undergraduate Research Fellowship provides students with an opportunity to conduct research full time during the summer in a physical chemistry lab at the University of Oregon.
The fellowship was created through funding provided by Physical Chemistry Division in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.
|Application Available||January 4|
|Application Deadline||April 22 @ 11:59 pm|
|Fellows Notified||May 11 (estimated)|
* Fellowship period may be flexible based on student and faculty schedules, contact UROP with questions.
Open to undergraduate students at the University of Oregon and from other undergraduate institutions that meet the eligibility criteria outlined below.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Must be returning to the UO or home institution the term after the fellowship
- Students may not be paid to conduct research through other internal UO research support programs during the same fellowship period.
- Commit regular effort to conducting research during the fellowship period.
- Complete a final research paper.
- Share the results of your research at the UO Undergraduate Symposium
- Acknowledge the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program in all work resulting from research during the fellowship period.
- Notify the program administrators of any publications or conference presentations that are associated with your research project.
The fellowship provides a $3,000 award to conduct research during the summer under the mentorship of a physical chemistry faculty member. The award will be received in two installments, at the end of week 5 of the fellowship period and at the end of week 10 of the fellowship period.
IMPORTANT: If you are receiving federal financial aid, this award may affect your financial aid eligibility. Students who receive federal aid have a responsibility to report all awards earned to the UO Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. Contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships for more information.
How to Apply
Make sure that you meet all of the eligibility criteria outlined above before proceeding.
Review the Program Eligibility Criteria
- Ensure that you meet all the eligibility criteria listed above.
- Work with your faculty mentor to craft a proposal that you will submit through the online application
- OPTIONAL: Schedule a meeting with UROP (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss your project proposal, receive feedback, and ask questions you have about the program.
Complete the online application
- Read the eligibility criteria listed above carefully before applying.
- Preview a PDF version of the application.
- Complete the online application.
Letters of Recommendation
- You are required to have one letter of recommendation that must come from the faculty member that is willing to supervise your research project.
- The faculty member that is supervising your research project must be Tenure Track Faculty or Career Non-tenure Track Faculty with an FTE of .50 or above.
- Request that your letter writer complete the letter of recommendation worksheet.
- Under the federal law titled the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 and according to the University of Oregon Student Record Policy, registered students are given the right to inspect their records, including letters of recommendation and teacher recommendations. If the student wants to waive their right of access to this recommendation, they may do so by completing a waiver form.
Obtain an unofficial copy of your UO transcripts
- Visit the UO Registrar Website to obtain unofficial copies of your transcript: https://registrar.uoregon.edu/transcripts
- Send copy to email@example.com