Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation's Policy for Institutional Support
This page outlines the process for faculty requesting cost-share or other forms of institutional support for an external grant submission, as many federal and non-federal sponsors require the applicant institution to contribute a portion of the total project costs via cost-sharing/matching or cover costs that the sponsor does not wish to cover.
If you request funds from the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation, please understand that funds are limited, and the office expects that a portion of the match should be contributed by non-OVPRI sources (e.g., the applicant’s department, center or institute). Also, the office expects that in-kind contributions will be maximized before you request a cash contribution from OVPRI.
- This policy applies only to grants submitted by faculty to federal and non-federal funding agencies. For Postdoctoral or Graduate support, please review the guidance on the Institutional Support for External Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowships and Training Grants webpage.
- This policy is separate from the existing UO policy regarding prestigious fellowships and compensation.
The Request Process
- Requests to OVPRI must be confirmed in advance of proposal submission.
- Applications requesting OVPRI match must ultimately be approved and submitted through Sponsored Projects Services office.
- The UO provides cost-share only when clearly stated in specific program funding announcements. (Requests for voluntary cost-share must include the SPS form).
- Requests for Institutional Support from the OVPRI must be made through the form below. For support for individual graduate or postdoctoral fellowships, visit the Institutional Support for External Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowships and Training Grants webpage.