The mission of the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation is to advance world-class research, scholarship, and innovation across the entire university. We provide the university community with comprehensive, solution-oriented services and infrastructure to support research, dissemination, and translation of discoveries to maximize impact. By leading the growth of our public university’s research enterprise and securing new resources for our scholars, we contribute to new knowledge, discovery, and innovation in Oregon, nationally, and globally.
We envision a supportive environment for all University of Oregon scholars that enables transformative discoveries and innovation, produces new knowledge, and supports creative activities to benefit Oregon, the nation, and the world.
- Collaboration: Our office advances research and innovation by establishing collaborative relationships at all scales—within our division, throughout the university, and with external partners in higher education, government, industry, and non-profit organizations. We champion disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: We proactively support the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive research community. We act upon the deep belief that diverse, equitable, and inclusive research environments are fair and just, and are necessary to accelerate discovery and innovation.
- Innovation and Impact: Our efforts and investments in innovative work at the university advance intellectual and societal impact of fundamental and applied research. We prioritize innovation in research, including the translation of discoveries, public engagement, and dissemination of knowledge.
- Openness and Transparency: We actively seek input from the research community, make reasoned decisions that are fair and principled, and share information in a transparent manner.
- Resilience: We respond to new information and changing conditions in ways that enable rapid learning and flexibility while maintaining continuity and adaptability for our research enterprise. We approach current opportunities and challenges with an eye towards the long-term resilience.
- Service: We provide high-caliber, solution-oriented service to our faculty, students, and staff to advance their research and scholarship goals while ensuring that activities comply with applicable laws, regulations, and university policies.