The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is responsible for oversight and evaluation of the entire animal care and use program and its components as described in the federal Animal Welfare Act, the NIH Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, the Public Health Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, and the U.S. Government Principles for the Utilization and Care of Vertebrate Animals Used in Testing, Research, and Training.
Primary IACUC functions include:
- Review and approval of proposed animal use (protocol review) and of proposed significant changes to animal use
- Regular inspection of facilities and animal use areas
- Regular review of the Program
- Ongoing assessment of animal care and use
- Establishment of a mechanism for receipt and review of concerns involving the care and use of animals at the institution
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.