Using Radiology Devices in Research

  • Investigators who wish to enroll human subjects in research that results in the absorption of ionizing radiation (e.g., x-rays, DEXA scanner, CT scans etc.) are required to obtain written approval from the Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects (CPHS/IRB) that includes review of Appendix C – Ionizing radiation by the University of Oregon Radiation Safety Office. Contact Steve Stuckmeyer, Director, Environmental Health and Safety, (P) 541-346-3197 for more information about the process. 
  • Complete Appendix C and attach to your IRB submission. If possible, obtain input from the University of Oregon Radiation Safety Office before you submit your project involving radiation for IRB review. Appendix C and other IRB materials can be found on our Applications, Forms and Guidance website
  • Researchers who plan to use the DEXA or CT scanners operated by the Department of Human Physiology at the University of Oregon need to contact Mike Hahn, Ph.D. Researchers who plan to use the DEXA scanner operated by the Marcus Mariota Sports Performance Center need to contact Jordan Troester, Ph.D.