The National Science Foundation (NSF) is an independent federal agency that promotes the progress of science to advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare and to secure the national defense. The NSF is a major funder of research at the University. Please use the tools and resources below to help you design, write and meet the requirements for proposals to the NSF.
Proposal Templates & Checklists
The buttons below will take you to a page with a checklist and templates based on the NSF guidance for each component of a particular NSF grant mechanism. Use the templates to begin writing each element, and use the checklist to keep track of timing and what parties at UO are responsible for various pieces of an application.
Guidance & Resources
Research Development Services Training Video
How to Write a Competitive NSF CAREER Proposal (15 min): Learn 10 tips for applying to the NSF CAREER program as well s common mistakes to avoid. Overview of how to write a CAREER proposal (MSWord)
NSF Workshop Videos
The NSF has produced significant content on various elements of the agency, proposal preparation, and merit review. Below are links to the NSF videos, some with an accompanying document that lists the time-marker for main topics in the video in order to facilitate finding specific information quickly.
- NSF Introduction and Overview video (11 min): This video will cover the basics of the origins, structure, funding rates and budget of the NSF. (PDF of NSF Intro and Overview PowerPoint)
- Proposal Preparation video (88 min): Watch this video to learn more about how to find funding on the NSF website, the types of proposal mechanisms available, the NSF grant policy and procedure guide, and the various parts of an NSF proposal. Q & A included.
- Merit Review Process video (73 min): This video will give you an understanding of the process of grant review at the NSF, including review criteria, types of reviewers, how to become a reviewer, and how the agency makes funding decisions. Q & A included.
- Abbreviated Merit Review video (6 min): The quick version of how grant proposal review works at the NSF.
- Mock Review Panel video (16 min): This video will give you excellent insight into the workings of a NSF review process, and can help you better understand what reviewers consider when they make their recommendations to program officers.